Pennsylvania family wins chance to spend holiday in ‘A Christmas Story’ house
Spending a winter night in Cleveland doesn’t usually sound like a prize. But for one Pennsylvania couple, it’s going to feel like being in the movies.
Linda Campagna and husband Thomas Streib submitted the winning bid in a charity auction to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning in the West 11th Street house that was the setting for “A Christmas Story,” the classic movie that is marking its 25th anniversary.
Like young Ralphie Parker and his movie family, the couple and two of their daughters will eat a “Chinese turkey” dinner of Peking duck. They’ll unwrap gifts like a blue bowling ball and can of Simoniz, shoot BB guns in the back yard and have the chance to try on a pink bunny suit.
Just like the one Ralphie was forced to wear.
” ‘You look like a pink nightmare’ is the phrase from the movie I think I use most,” Campagna said. “We’ll try and relive the whole movie. We’ll take tons of pictures.”
No one besides owner Brian Jones and a few friends has ever stayed in the house since he bought and renovated it, and no one ever at Christmas. Campagna and Streib got their chance to relive the movie by bidding $5,250 on eBay Giving Works, the charity listings site, to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project that helps veterans.
“It meant a lot to us,” Campagna said, because she and her husband are both former Army sergeants. “We went higher than we would have gone otherwise.”
They live in Stewartstown, Pa., work for Boeing in neighboring Maryland, and are — of course — longtime fans of “A Christmas Story.”
Until hearing about the auction on the radio, however, “we didn’t even realize there was a real house,” Campagna said. “My husband called and said, ‘Quick, go to eBay!’ ”
They topped 15 bidders to earn their first trip to Cleveland.
They will be flown from Baltimore to Cleveland as part of the package.
“When the whole thing is over,” Campagna said, “we’re hoping we’ll have time to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”
The Auction Read as Follows:
Spend Christmas Eve & Morning in the house from A Christmas Story
VIP EXPERIENCE FOR 4 WITH AIRFARE, HOTEL, & MEALS INCLUDED!
“A Tribute to the Original, Traditional, One-Hundred-Percent, Red-Blooded, Two-Fisted, All-American Christmas…” is now yours for the bidding. eBay Giving Works, eBay’s program that empowers people to buy and sell for a cause, and A Christmas Story House & Museum, celebrating the film’s 25th anniversary, invite the winning bidder and 3 guests to spend Christmas Eve & Christmas Morning reliving their favorite moments from the cult classic A Christmas Story at the original Christmas Story House in Cleveland, Ohio! This special experience is being offered exclusively on eBay Giving Works, with all proceeds from the charity auction going to the Wounded Warrior Project.
- Airfare for four (4) people from anywhere in the lower 48 states to Cleveland, OH (up to $1800 total)*
- 2 Day, 2 Night stay for four (4) in a suite provided by the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
- Christmas Eve accommodations for four (4) at the A Christmas Story House
- Christmas Day dinner for four (4) provided by Sans Souci, an award-winning, fine-dining restaurant in the Renaissance Hotel
- $200 stipend for food & beverages during stay included
*The seller will book the flights for the winning bidder and guests and cover the cost up to $1800 (including air travel cost, fees, and taxes for all four people.) Every effort will be made to book the flights for less than $1800 for the 4 people, but in the event the cost exceeds $1800, the winning bidder will need to pay the difference to the seller. The flights cannot be used separately from this auction experience. The winner will not have a choice of airlines or flight times, although the seller will try to accommodate their requested itineraries. The winner may not resell the flights or any other portion of this experience. The winner and guests using the air travel will need to be the same people who will be taking part in the experience.
- 3pm: Check into a suite at the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel
- Visit the former Higbee’s Department Store Window (next to Renaissance Hotel)
- 10am: Personal behind-the-scenes tour of A Christmas Story House & Museum
- Ride in family car (weather permitting) and receive bars of Lifebuoy Soap
- Try on original costumes from the movie
- Read through the costume “bible” that includes photos and notes from the production
- 2pm: Check into A Christmas Story House
- Large FRA-GI-LE Major Award crate delivered to the front door of the house (yours to keep – provided by A Christmas Story House). Crow bar provided to open.
- Go out to check the mail for Decoder pins delivered to mailbox (one for each guest and yours to keep – provided by A Christmas Story House)
- Climb under the sink just like Randy
- 5pm: Chinese Turkey Dinner at Pearl of the Orient
- 7pm: Back to A Christmas Story House to watch “A Christmas Story” in the house it was filmed (25th Anniversary DVD is yours to keep; popcorn and sodas provided)
- 9pm: Spend the night in A Christmas Story House sleeping in Ralphie and Randy’s bedroom!
- 8am: Open presents in A Christmas Story House living room
- Continental breakfast basket provided by A Christmas Story House
- Presents included: 2 BB guns (behind the desk), blue bowling ball, can of Simonize, and a bunny suit, 4 Christmas Story House shirts. (provided by A Christmas Story House)
- Bring your own presents to unwrap as well
- Shoot BB guns in the back yard (provided by A Christmas Story House)
- 1pm: Check out of A Christmas Story House and return to Renaissance Hotel (Room is reserved for you)
- 5pm: Enjoy Christmas dinner at Sans Souci, an award-winning, fine-dining restaurant in the Renaissance Hotel
- By 12pm, check out of Renaissance Hotel
- Return flight departs (Time TBD)
All proceeds from this charity auction benefit The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP). WWP was founded on the principle that veterans are our nation’s greatest citizens. The WWP seeks to assist those men and women of our armed forces who have been severely injured during the conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other locations around the world. Many of the injuries are traumatic amputations, gunshot wounds, burns, and blast injuries that will retire these brave warriors from military service. From the battlefield to their bedside, WWP is there to meet the needs of wounded heroes by providing them with unique programs and services, raising awareness, enlisting public support and providing a means for veterans to help each other.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please read the Terms & Conditions carefully before bidding.
All bidders must also have a Paypal account in order to be allowed to bid. For bids over $15,000, a valid credit card registered in the name of the account owner must be on file at eBay. This is a security verification measure and the card will not be charged by the seller.
Winner and guest understand they will need to behave in a reasonable and appropriate manner at all time during the experience. Violations will invalidate the experience for all participants and the winner and guest will be asked to leave. Causes for termination include but are not limited to: profanity, intoxication, or other codes of conduct which are considered unreasonable.
The seller reserves the right to reject any bids at its sole discretion and screen all bidders, including requesting additional documentation on the ability to make payment as well as request a deposit to be paid before being allowed to bid, regardless of eBay feedback history.
Bidders may need to make a deposit via Paypal or credit card before being allowed to place a bid. This is a security measure and not based upon eBay feedback history or status. The deposit of the winning bidder will be applied to the balance, with additional funds due within 3 days. All other deposits will be refunded by seller within 2 business days. Deposit on a credit card may take up to 7 days to reappear after Auction Cause initiates a refund.
A bid is a legally binding contract and you agree to be bound to make payment if your eBay ID is the highest bidder, even if a higher bid has been removed, resulting in you being the high bidder. If your account is used by a family member, other person in your household, or even a friend with access to your account, you are still fully liable and cannot avoid payment. Please do not bid if you are not 100% certain you can follow through with payment at the winning bid price promptly.
A non-paying bidder will be subject to collection and legal costs. By bidding in this charity auction, the bidder understands and agrees to eBay’s terms of service as well as all terms and conditions mentioned here.
No part of the text, design, photos, video, or other content from this charity auction or associated pages may be used without written permission of the appropriate license holders.
Payment must be made through Paypal, although a credit card can be used at PayPal to fund this purchase if desired. Full payment is required within (3) days of the auction close. Failure to deliver payment within the designated time will result in default of the bid and we may select the next highest bidder.
A portion of the winning bid amount made through this charity auction may be tax deductible. Please consult with your tax advisor for more information, as we are unable to provide tax consulting due to the unique tax situation of each person.
Q: DO I NEED TO BE PREQUALIFIED TO BID?
A: Bidder prequalification may be necessary in order to ensure the sincerity of bids. If the auction is blocked, click here to fill out our form.
Q: CAN ADDITIONAL GUESTS ATTEND PARTS OF THE EXPERIENCE?
Q: WILL I NEED TO PAY TAXES ON THE HOTEL STAY?
A. No, however, a credit card will be required upon check-in. The winning bidder must sign an agreement to pay for any missing items or damage that occurs during their stay and provide a valid credit card to cover such expenses.
Q: CAN I TAKE PICTURES IN THE HOUSE?
A: Yes. The winning bidder and guests are encouraged to bring a camera to take photos in the house.
Q: IF I LIVE NEAR OHIO, CAN I USE THE AIRFARE AT A LATER TIME?
A: The airfare must be used in conjunction with the charity auction experience and cannot be used at a later time.
Q: IS GROUND TRANSPORTATION INCLUDED?
A. No, the winning bidder and guests must provide their own transportation to and from the airport and around town.
Q: WHAT IF I HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS NOT ADDRESSED HERE?
A: Should you have any questions about this charity auction not addressed here, please contact us by using the “ask seller a question” link at the top of the page.