July 10th, 2013 by Ralphie
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A CHRISTMAS STORY HOUSE & MUSEUM HOSTS
CHRISTMAS IN JULY, 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF A CHRISTMAS STORY KICK-OFF
CLEVELAND – July 10, 2013 – A Christmas Story House & Museum will be hosting a Christmas in July event, at the iconic house used in the filming of A Christmas Story movie. The kick-off event will formally announce all upcoming events planned for the 30th Anniversary Celebration of A Christmas Story.
A Christmas Story, released November 1983, is a delightfully funny holiday classic that tells the story of Ralphie Parker, a 1940’s nine-year-old who pulls out all the stops to obtain the ultimate Christmas present. The movie is based on the childhood memoirs of humorist Jean Shepherd (from his hilarious book In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash).
This year’s focus is to showcase Cleveland, Ohio as the destination for “All things A Christmas Story”. A Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland in the early 1980s and many of the infamous filming locations can be found around the city and enjoyed. Fans of the classic film will be quick to add Cleveland to their holiday travel plans after hearing all that is in store!
Events planned for the 30th Anniversary Celebration of A Christmas Story are as follows:
- 30th Anniversary A Christmas Story Convention – Thanksgiving weekend, November 29th and 30th. Convention will feature appearances by original cast members, author signings, tours of the A Christmas Story House & Museum, bb-gun range, and much more! Convention schedule of events and locations can be found at www.achristmasstoryhouse.com.
- Mrs. Parker’s Little Piggy Luncheon – Grand Ballroom, Renaissance Hotel, November 30th. An exclusive opportunity to enjoy a traditional meatloaf, mashed potato and red cabbage meal, just like Mrs. Parker made, while dining with cast members from A Christmas Story movie. Entertainment provided by Cleveland Play House and Near West Theatre. Tickets are limited – get yours before you say “Ohhh Fuuudge!” Tickets will be available for purchase September 1st.
- Grand Opening of newly expanded A Christmas Story House & Museum Gift Shop. After over a year of construction and renovations, the A Christmas Story House & Museum will open its new 3,500 square-foot gift shop to the public.
- Cleveland’s Winterfest 2013 – Downtown Cleveland, November 30th. Cleveland is invited to “create nostalgia for now” at this all-day street festival and celebration that kicks off the holiday season in Cleveland. Featuring a spectacular, epic lighting display that will be the talk of the town!
- A Christmas Story – The Allen Theatre at PlayhouseSquare, November 29th to December 22nd. In honor of the 30th anniversary of the beloved film, we bring back one of the most popular shows in Cleveland Play House history in a sparkling new production. The perfect holiday treat for the entire family. Purchase your tickets to A Christmas Story in the month of July and save $10 per ticket! Cleveland Play House is also thrilled to announce the return of the Festival of Trees! Create new memories with this beloved holiday tradition, as the Festival of Trees fills the lobbies and hallways of our new home at PlayhouseSquare during the run of A Christmas Story. www.clevelandplayhouse.com
- A Christmas Story, The Musical – Near West Theatre, November 15th, 16th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 29th, 30th, December 1st, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 2013. Near West Theatre presents a multi-cultural, intergenerational cast in A Christmas Story, the Musical. Cleveland’s first-ever production of this new musical based on the classic 1983 movie which recently was honored with 3 Tony Award nominations. Performances at 3606 Bridge Avenue in Cleveland’s Ohio City. Here’s what audiences say about their experience of Near West Theatre: “We were amazed! I have seen performances on Broadway that weren’t as well done. Stage set, costumes, orchestra, singing voices, and acting; all were top notch.”, “Near West has an energy all its own. The experience is always unique and fabulous.” Call 216-961-6391 for tickets or buy online at www.nearwesttheatre.org.
- A Christmas Story Run 5K/10K – Cleveland, December 7th. Be a part of history for the first A Christmas Story Run, to celebrate this classic movie’s 30th anniversary. Proceeds will benefit the A Christmas Story House Neighborhood Restoration Project, located Cleveland’s Tremont neighborhood. http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/index.php/5k10k-run/
- Cleveland Indians A Christmas Story House & Museum Night – Progressive Field, September 25th. The Cleveland Indians play the last home game of the season against the Chicago White Sox at 7:05pm. Brian Jones, owner of A Christmas Story House & Museum, will throw out the first pitch to start the game! Order tickets through the promotional link:
Special Offer Code: CHRISTMAS. $1 of each ticket sale will be donated to the A Christmas Story Run 5K/10K charity partner, A Christmas Story House Neighborhood Restoration Project.
- A Christmas Story Convention Hotel Special Room Rate – Renaissance Hotel, Cleveland. The historical Renaissance Hotel, also seen in the movie A Christmas Story, will be offering a discounted room rate for your stay during the 30th Anniversary A Christmas Story Convention. This beautiful 4-star hotel is situated right on Public Square, and located only 5 minutes from the A Christmas Story House & Museum, so fans can be close to all of the festivities!
The Kick-off for the 30th Anniversary Celebration of A Christmas Story will take place on Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 10:00am. Main events will commence on the front porch of the A Christmas Story House & Museum. Representatives from both the Cleveland Play House (play) and Near West Theatre (The Musical) will be in attendance. In support of all the Cleveland events, there will be special appearances from The Cleveland Indians mascot, “Slider” (dressed as Santa) along with other very special guests. As a bonus, get a “sneak peak” at the new A Christmas Story House & Museum Gift Shop, which will be soft-opened to the public.
Local media, businesses, and the general public are invited to come down and share in the festivities. In addition to the main events there will be entertainment for the entire family. Take a tour of the A Christmas Story House & Museum, and visit with Santa Claus himself! You might even see the “Deranged Easter Bunny” stop by. Admission to the A Christmas Story House & Museum will be discounted to $5 on July 25th. Wear an ugly Christmas sweater and be entered into a raffle to win your very own “Major Award”! This event cannot be missed!
A Christmas Story House & Museum is located just five minutes from downtown Cleveland at 3159 W. 11th St. in the Tremont neighborhood. It is open year-round. Tours of the house run every 30 minutes. Regular admission tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, $6 for children (ages 7 to 12) and free for children ages 6 and under. For more information or for directions, visit www.AChristmasStoryHouse.com or call 216-298-4919.
# # #
Category: Press Releases | Comments Off