A CHRISTMAS STORY HOUSE & MUSEUM HOSTS CHRISTMAS IN JULY EVENTS
July 8, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CLEVELAND – July 8, 2014 – A Christmas Story House & Museum will be hosting Christmas in July events throughout the course of the month.
A Christmas Story, released November 1983, is a delightfully funny holiday classic that tells the story of Ralphie Parker, a 1940’s nine-year-old who pulls out all the stops to obtain the ultimate Christmas present. The movie is based on the childhood memoirs of humorist Jean Shepherd (from his hilarious book In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash).
This summer’s focus is to showcase Cleveland, Ohio as the home of A Christmas Story. A Christmas Story was filmed in Cleveland in 1983 and many of the infamous filming locations can be found around the city and enjoyed. Fans of the classic film will be quick to add Cleveland to their summer travel plans after hearing all that is in store!
Events planned for the Christmas in July Celebration of A Christmas Story are as follows:
- A Christmas Story House & Museum Night at Progressive Field – July 11th at 7:05 pm – Progressive Field. Join in on celebrating Christmas in July as the Cleveland Indians play the Chicago White Sox at Progressive Field. The first pitch will be thrown by A Christmas Story Run Race Director, Amy Kentner, dressed in a leg lamp costume. The evening will include Christmas themed games as well as fireworks. The Indians are generously donating $4 from each ticket sold through our link to benefit A Christmas Story House Foundation, Inc. For tickets, please visit the Cleveland Indians page at: www.AChristmasStoryHouse.com Special Offer Code: Christmas
- A Christmas Story House & Museum Classic Car Show – July 12th from 9:00 am to 3:00pm – Steelyard Commons Home Depot. A Christmas Story House & Museum is hosting a classic car show, which will feature the reintroduction of the Old Man’s 1938 Oldsmobile along with the unveiling of their newly acquired 1939 Ford Fire Truck, seen in the movie when the Fire Department rescued poor Flick who had his tongue “Stuck, Stuck, STUCK!” to the flag pole in the school yard. Several celebrity judges will be present, including actor Ian Petrella who starred as Randy Parker in A Christmas Story. This day will be filled with classic automobiles, trophies, prizes, and raffles. Registration is $10 per car which includes a free dashboard plaque for the first 100 cars registered, as well as two tickets to tour A Christmas Story House & Museum. Admission to the car show for the public is free. Proceeds benefit the Tremont neighborhood through A Christmas Story House Foundation, Inc.
- Taste of Tremont – Sunday July 20th from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm – Professor Avenue. This free street festival will be held in the heart of Tremont’s restaurant district and showcase the best of Tremont’s food, art and entertainment. A Christmas Story House & Museum will have a tent at the festival promoting the House and events. Representatives from Cleveland Play House and little “Ralphie” in his bunny suit will also be in attendance.
- Retro Tuesdays featuring A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation – July 22nd at 7:00pm – Aut-O-Rama Twin Drive-In Theatre – 33395 Lorain Road, North Ridgeville, Ohio. A Christmas Story House & Museum has partnered with Aut-O-Rama Twin Drive-In Theatre for a special Christmas in July celebration. The Aut-O-Rama will feature A Christmas Story and National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation as part of their Retro Tuesdays theme night. This night will feature face painting, costume contests, and Major Awards. Along with an actor appearance from Ian Petrella, who starred as Randy in A Christmas Story, and the big guy from way up north, Santa! Be sure to stop by the concession stand for some rich chocolate Ovaltine! Festivities start at 7:00pm, and the back to back movies will begin at 9:40pm. Tickets are $9 for adults (12 and over), $3 for children (4-11), and free for children 3 and under. A portion of ticket sales will benefit A Christmas Story House Foundation, Inc.
- Christmas in July – July 26th from 10:00am to 5:00pm – A Christmas Story House & Museum – 3159 West 11th Street, Cleveland OH. This Christmas in July special will take place at A Christmas Story House & Museum in Tremont, Ohio. The day will feature a charity neighborhood barbeque from 11:00am – 3:00pm. 100% of proceeds from the day’s ticket sales and barbeque will benefit A Christmas Story House Foundation, Inc.
- Christmas in July with the Lake County Captains – July 25th and 26th at 7:00pm – Classic Park, 35300 Vine St, Eastlake, OH 44095. Join the Lake County Captains to celebrate Christmas in July with two themed game nights. On Friday, July 25th, enjoy a free bobble head giveaway for the first 1,500 fans featuring the Lake County Captains mascot, Skipper, with soap washing out his mouth – just like Ralphie in A Christmas Story! Angela Dickerson, CEO of A Christmas Story House & Museum, has been invited to throw out the ceremonial first pitch, dressed as the Pink Nightmare. The celebration continues on Saturday, July 26th, with an Ugly Sweater Jersey Auction benefiting Captains Charities. A Christmas Story Run Race Director, Amy Kentner, will be throwing out the first pitch dressed as the infamous leg lamp. Both nights will feature a Christmas-themed, post-game firework extravaganza.
- A Christmas Story 5K/10K Run – Registration open now through November 1st. Registration for the second annual A Christmas Story 5K/10K Run is now open! The run will begin on Public Square in Downtown Cleveland on December 6th, 2014 and take you past the A Christmas Story House & Museum in Tremont. Proceeds benefit A Christmas Story House Foundation, Inc. For more information visit: www.AChristmasStoryRun.com
- Cleveland Play House A Christmas Story – November 28th to December 21st – The Allen Theatre. Cleveland Play House will once again perform one of their most popular plays, A Christmas Story, this coming winter. The record-breaking show returns to the Allen Theatre November 28 – December 21. Make your holiday plans now and save! Purchase your tickets to A Christmas Story starting July 1 and enjoy up to a $10 savings on select performance dates. Don’t miss out on the perfect holiday treat for the entire family! More information available at: www.clevelandplayhouse.com
- “Cleveland Play House A Christmas Story in July” – Starting July 1st. Starting July 1st, Cleveland Play House will have a “Cleveland Play House A Christmas Story in July” costume and prop display, alongside production photos at the Cleveland Public Library main branch on Superior in Downtown Cleveland for the month of July. On Wednesday, July 16, Cleveland Play House will have Ralphie at the Cleveland Public Library for the 11:00 am Summertime Story Fun, then Ralphie will hand out presents during “Blind Date with a Book” at the main branch. Local media, businesses, and the general public are invited to come out and celebrate Christmas in July at these fun events around Cleveland. Many popular characters will be in attendance at these events, including Santa, “Ralphie”, and actor Ian Petrella, who starred as Randy Parker in A Christmas Story.
All of the events sponsored by A Christmas Story House & Museum benefit the neighbors of Tremont through the A
Christmas Story House Foundation, Inc., a non-profit foundation established to restore and maintain the neighborhood
surrounding A Christmas Story House & Museum for future generations to experience and enjoy. The foundation provides
grants, both public and private, to projects that enhance and preserve the surrounding neighborhood. More information at:
A Christmas Story House & Museum, now restored to its movie splendor, is located just five minutes from downtown
Cleveland at 3159 W. 11th St. in the Tremont neighborhood. It is open year-round, 7 days a week, excluding major holidays.
Tours of the house run every 30 minutes. Regular admission tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, $6 for children (ages 7
to 12) and free for children ages 6 and under. For more information or for directions, visit www.AChristmasStoryHouse.com
or call 216-298-4919.
# # #
216-298-4919 ext. 1011